Thursday, October 23, 2008

white people like book tours...

On Monday night I donned my scarf and pea coat and headed to the night's ultimate urban event: a book signing by Christian Lander.

Lander, of the website-turned-book-deal "Stuff White People Like," is somewhere in the middle of a cross country tour with his best friend and blogging buddy Myles Valentin. Naturally, his journey of cultural satire takes him to "The Whitest Metropolis in America," Portland, Oregon.

Powell's Books, the city's hippest literary legend, is as crowded as it can be without anyone invading anyone else's personal space bubble. Apparently, white people also like arriving early. There's a handwritten sign on the door that says the event is closed, but I am undeterred. My friend Rachel is camped out in Paranormal Romance, but I choose to listen in from the slightly less adventurous Children's Section. I press my ear to a large display of Harold and his Purple Crayon.

Read the rest of the article at Patrol Magazine...

5 comments:

holly darling smith said...

Bahahahaha. Awesome, Em, really. (and... you totally like the guy.) Excellent story. Just excellent. Bangs and a scarf! Amazing.

I love you.

sharongracepjs said...

i am jealous you met one of my favorites. This makes me want to Be Offended (#101) or possibly to Move to Canada (#75)

holly darling smith said...

Oh gosh. I know he's married! You are so incapable of accepting teasing sometimes. Gah.

Hardcastle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Betsy said...

Nice review!