Thursday, June 01, 2006

white noise...

I like the hum of the library. It's a good place, even if it is about 45 degrees in here. [such extremes...it's about 80 with 90% humidity outside. where is the balance?] During the normal semester, it's too distracting to be here, but there are only about 25 people around during the summer session . Also, the fact that I'm not really friends with any of them keeps me from being distracted. Isn't it weird that there are still strangers on a campus of 1300?

One of my most prominent annoyances is the difference that one day makes in your life. Today, unfortunantly, is Wednesday the 31st. Which means that tomorrow is First Thursday, just three days shy of my ability to attend. Which means I'll only have July and August to celebrate the full glories of dressing up, people watching, and northwestern snobbish nights. My birthday celebration had better make up for this.

My final on Friday covers a lot more material than I expected. We have done a lot this semester, despite Dr Somerville's 'digressions from a digression.' I'm getting worried. It's so different when you're studying things you've heard of before. But this is about 30 modern short stories, each written by entirely new authors with rather complicated names. But, despite that, this has been one of Hillsdale's best kept secrets. I'm already plotting next summer's schedule. You're all invited to come live with me for three weeks and partake of the goodness.

This has been a good week: I saw two action movies in four days. Mi:3 [at a drive-in! whoot for the good old days!] and X-3. Both were ridiculous, tragic[ly bad], hilarious, frequently made fun of, and full of really really bad dialogue. I'm a bad dialogue psychic. I can pretty much say the next line without ever having seen the movie.

The deaths of certain much-raved-about characters in X-3 has inspired an X-men frenzy. Joel and I introduced Sharon to all the glories of Wolverine ['oooh, is he going to take his shirt off again!? will cyclops take his shirt off?'] and tonight we're watching the best one, X-2. [which the girl at the movie store was completely incapable of finding in the computer. what?]

I'm currently putting off going to work. Maybe I'll continue methodically checking all possible forms of e-communication or count out the number of hours that remain til PDX. Oooh, new pictures up on facebook!

[edit] I am also missing the Starlight Parade. What IS this? I am so sad. It is my favorite Who wants to go to the Grand Floral Parade with me?

I really want to take some sort of dance class through Portland Parks this summer, but their website isn't working. Sad.

2 comments:

Janice said...

ah homecoming. the best feeling i know so far. a close second would be a library on a rainy northwest day. something tells me you get that...

Aine said...

I haven't been getting any good coffee lately. You'll have to take me on a whirlwind coffee tour when I come up.