Tuesday, October 03, 2006

communication extraordinare...

I remember when I was very young and one of the highlights of the month were our issues of God's World News. I remember a story about some Asian country [they get all the cool stuff] and the latest rage: video phones. A camera and a tv screen were added to the regular old chunky desk phone, and if the other person had one, you could "see" and talk to each other at the same time. Unfortunately, they cost about a billion dollars.

Of course, being age eleven or so, I wanted one to be able to talk to my friends. I thought that was pretty crazy, but so cool. I mean, wow, talk about amazing.

Do you think people even knew what was going on when they sent the first telegram? Imagine how excited they were. You can't even send them anymore. The pony express? That was the coolest thing ever. If I was a teenager in 1860, I totally would have been in love with a Pony Express rider. Those guys braved weather, exhaustion, and wilderness, just to bring a letter. Complain if you want, but it's ridiculously cool that it only costs thirty-nine cents to send a letter all the way across the country [to michigan, in fact. ahem. that would be a hint, kids]. And now, an entire new level of communication has been opened up...

I bought myself a webcam. On Skype [get it], you can have a live video feed in order to "see" someone while you talk to them. You can see me roll my eyes at your dumb jokes, or how often I'm playing with my hair, or how wide my mouth opens when I'm laughing.
I finally have my video telephone!

I am living in the future! I'm pretty sure teleporting is next.

4 comments:

Aine said...

Love, I had a webcam three years ago. And now my compy has one built right in. You're behind. :-P

But we ARE living in the future, you're right. Virgin Galactic (of Virgin Mobile, Virgin Records, Virgin Trains, etc.) is about to open up commercial space flight. For a low, low price of $200,000, you too can achieve orbit and see the Earth from the stars. We here at Digital Radiance expect that number to drop dramatically in five years or so.

And beyond the economy of mail, we can order virtually anything to be delivered right to our doors through the wonder of eBay. The internet has become a mail-order catalogue, TV, phone, post office, bookstore, music store...[list continuing infinity] How nifty is that?

Steph Garvey said...

How do I get to your webcam? I always thought that a video phone would be a little awkward because you couldn't clean the bathroom or brush your teeth with someone WATCHING you. sick. ;-) but....more power to you. What's your addy and I'll send you a letter.
btw-I'm definitely pregnant, because I cry watching any movie. Maybe it IS a girl...

Will said...

I'm sure those Pony Express riders were terribly romantic, but did you know that they had to be under 110 pounds?

emelina said...

Leave it to Glas...

Does that mean that the pony express riders were emo boys? It's okay for me to idolize boys skinnier than me, I just can't date them.