Tuesday, April 17, 2007

contradictions...

i shall never grow up
make believe is much to fun
can we go far away to the humming meadow
[eisley]

i grow old... i grow old...
i shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
[prufrock]

if growing up means it would be
beneath my dignity to climb a tree
i'll never grow up, never grow up,
never grow up,
not me!
[peter pan]

we should no longer be children,
tossed to and frow and carried about
with every wind of doctrine,
by the trickery of men,
in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
but, speaking the truth in love,
may grow up in all things
into Him who is the head: Christ.
[ephesians 4:14-15]

2 comments:

Emma Rose said...

ah yes.

holly darling smith said...

Oh Emily, oh Emily....

I'm growing old too! I don't want to grow up...it's tiresome and ugly...and it shatters the dreams of innocence. And...it dangerously sharpens my soul to the reality of life. And life is hard.


I need a hug too, dearest.