Wednesday, April 04, 2007

the real world...

I'm incredibly inspired and overwhelmed right now after lunch with Dr. B. H. Fairchild, a poet and literary scholar. As one pursuing a liberal arts education and constantly battered by the pressures of "what about when you graduate?" and "what exactly do you want to do with your life?", I am excited to hear intelligent people who support a pursuit of knowledge and a passion for learning. He talked about the lack-of-importance of a good SAT score and the incredible importance of a hunger for learning [i eat books].

I don't get the best grades [especially from impossible but amazing professors at hillsdale], I don't win English Department awards, I won't graduate Summa Cum Laude. But because I have studied here, I am overwhelmed by literature. I am passionate about life discussed through words on paper. I am fascinated by American themes and the concept of the novel. I want to learn where language has taken us and where it's leading. I am captivated by poetry [like Dr. Fairchild's. brilliant and beautiful]. I recognize more and more obscure references. I am more and more frequently overcome by a rabid desire to experience the Greats of literature. I celebrate myself, and sing of myself, not because of what I have done, but because I am able to use the mind and opportunity so graciously allowed me.

What, as Dr. Fairchild expressed today, is more The Real World than this?

about the last time i saw you
you said, 'call me pandora, call me a fool'
and i'm thinking this view could do you some good
so drop these scales and take a look
[40 acres]

No comments: