Wednesday, November 07, 2007

viva varo...

I love my Modern Art History class. We just finished up Dada and Surrealism movements. Hold on... don't judge an art movement by the fact that most of it is insane and Freudian. [cause it's insanely awesome] Or at least, don't judge it until you spend a semester studying it. The more Art History I study, the more I realize that Art [the uppercase one] often relates to the conversations it inspires. Simply because we argue about whether or not it is Good Art has some bearing on whether it is Art. And like it or not, History says this is. You don't have to put it on your wall, but give it a chance.

And before you throw out Surrealism with the bathwater, study it enough to know why the colors are interesting, the figures amusing, and the composition flawless. Learn to laugh at it all. I'm so amazed at the limitless possibilities of art and the passionate discussions of style throughout the ages. No matter what part of the crazy psyche these come from, you have got to appreciate the creativity of these people!


Where else but Surrealism would you find a shadow trading places with the "real" man?
A woman draped in the forest floor and playing sunbeams like a cello?
A hilarious piece titled "Vampiros Vegetarianos" [complete with rooster-dogs, naturally]
Or the most active still life you've ever met? [this one is going on my dining room wall someday]

Find something new and crazy to love and study and share. These delightful and interesting paintings are all by my new favorite Surrealist, Remedios Varo. Viva!

3 comments:

lyss said...

Man, he might be my new favorite too. Those are kind of amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)

Allison said...

She, my dear.

lyss said...

Oh! haha, she.