Sunday, May 04, 2008

notables...

A few margin quotes from some of my favs:

Bushey, on Maori body decoration: "It makes sense. It's too hot to get dressed, so if you want any decoration, you have to paint or tattoo it on."

On her reasoning behind showing us a particular slide: "I don't know, I just found this great map of the geology of the area!"

On the phrase "research continues:" "That means, 'we don't know anything!'"

On her continual fight with technology: "I'll get to the bottom of this digital mystery!"

Whalen, telling us how to scorn a lover: "I am not the object of a lyric poem! You have to think, not just behold me!"

Telling us how to seduce a lover: "Darling, would you be my surrogate metaphysical manifestation?"

On his teaching style: "I will lie to you frequently to see if you're paying attention."

On Matthew Arnold: "He's so good. Ugh. You just want to hit people like this with a stick." "Snobbery isn't a virtue, but you can appreciate it when it's done with this kind of artistic flair."

On the Medievals: "Admit it: your view of the middle ages comes from Monty Python - really miserable people and highly adulterous people."

On his students: "You're all just lazy featherless bipeds!" "You're all modernists. Belief is not available to you." "It's positively neurotic, and you're all as crazy as bats."

On the facts of life: "Men and women do things together as recreation and produce tax deductions!"

I have no idea: "If you had little muskrats eating your knee caps, you'd pay attention too." "It's like calling a nudist colony the fashion capital of the world!"

On G.K: "I can imagine that it must be difficult to live with Chesterton...you'd probably need a pretty big bathtub, too."

3 comments:

j said...

yipes!

lyss said...

My favorites are "you have to think! not just behold me!" and the "lazy featherless bipeds" one. I like that I can't possibly imagine what might have provoked some of those.

holly darling smith said...

By the way, I love these. All of them too. All. Brilliantly thought. Brilliantly spoken.