Wednesday, April 06, 2005

spring fever...

goodmorning, sunshine.

I always think that I don't like Spring. Until it's actually here. True, it's still my least favorite season, [i like stability and a sure thing. spring is neither] but today at least, I'm definitely greatful for Spring. The green [though it's still a dead color, compared to portland grass] is beginning to return on the Hillsdale lawns, and though the trees are still bare, there's a feeling of hope in the air.

Today, Audree pointed out the daffodils out in front of Central Hall. [clock tower!] I had seen them before in passing, but today, I admired them while basking in the sunlight with some good company.

I want my jean jacket to be the heaviest coat I wear from now til October.

The best thing about Spring, naturally, is that it really means that it's almost summer. I'd be in favor of just calling this season "pre-summer."

The rain is coming, tonight, however. Sitting outside eating dinner with my girls, [the best food i've had since my sister made dinner last friday] you could smell and feel the thunderstorms in the air. I could use a good thunderstorm. Maybe it'll put a little brighter color in the world landscape.

I have certain Spring rituals. Of course, after a long winter [enjoyable though it was. i like snow and cold, starry nights], my girliness comes out in full force. I'm ready to wear cute skirts. [lily-style] No more slacks and fashion boots for Emelina. No more gloves or preppy scarves. I just put pink ribbons or a flowered headband in my [growing longer] brown hair. Sunglasses are constantly on my head. [my favorite fashion accessory. how did i make it all winter without them?]

Of course, I'm not the only one excited and busy in the Spring. My room, complete with the beautiful view of the arb out the back window, is pretty much the first thing mosquitos see when they enter the world. The open windows [fresh air. can't live without fresh air] must look very inviting. There have been no attacks on the natives, yet, but several eliminations of the foreigners.

The other way I know it's Spring is because my feet hurt. There's an art to wearing flip flops. And every Spring, I have to re-learn it. Every year, the same things happen. After being cooped up for the winter, my feet have to be trained for freedom. I always get blisters across the tops of my feet because I get excited about the weather and end up wearing flip flops for too long. It's annoying, but I'm used to it. [my feet are so scarred and ugly from the old skating days that it doesn't make any difference] It just happens every year. But it's okay, because it means that it's Spring.

Spring has a song, and I can't get it out of my head.

i want to sing a song for you, Lord

1 comment:

tami said...

Thanks for stopping by with Audrey and Katherine last night! I had so much fun hall-talking with you :)

I hope you're enjoying a springy Saturday.