Monday, May 15, 2006

not as depressing as the weather...

I wrote a depressing 'goodbye' post on Saturday night, but decided to spare you the angst. Talitha was my last bff to leave campus today. But I will get to see most of them sometime during these next three weeks, except for Mary, who ran off to London/Yorkshire/Paris/Rome [lucky duck].

I seem to be writing a lot about goodbyes and changes. Every four months, there's some guarenteed change in my community or place of primary residence. People who don't go to college really far away miss out on all of this. Sometimes I envy them, other times I'm really glad that I get to experience so many different worlds.

The weather is officially Portland in January. Seriously. It's 45 and raining and miserable. Not exactly how I had planned to spend my three weeks of summer school, but then again, it could be that the weather is coordinating with my reading today. I'm going to go back to my sweet [off campus!] house and snuggle up with Misters Poe [Ligeia] and Irving [Sleepy Hollow].

My cousin Joel and I are the only ones in the class [the american short story]. Did you know that every day of summer session is like a week of regular session classes? The reading load will be awesome though: four short stories a day. And they're all hot stories, too. We'll be into literature after 1950 by the end of the week. [wait, is that even legal at hillsdale?]

I really love short stories. Tobias Wolfe said that short stories are actually more like poetry, because every word must be intentional and purposeful. They are often snubbed as being lesser literature, but I'd usually rather have a good book of short stories than a novel.

Today, if you get a chance, you should read a short story.
Like me.

2 comments:

Aine said...

It's raining here too. But's kind of a lovely-depressing-rain. If that makes sense. Maybe I will go find myself a short story, that sounds nice...

Lola Bacon said...

I wish it were raining here. It's not okay for it to be 90 degrees in early May in Portland. NOT okay.