Thursday, September 25, 2008

starbucks, the underdog...

I did something unthinkable this morning. Something I should be ashamed of. Something probably unAmerican.

I walked past my local independent coffee shop full of hip people and and went to Starbucks.

And I didn't feel bad. Actually, it might have been feeling bad that sent me there in the first place. See, this morning, I read another article about how Starbucks is closing stores, laying off people, and is down about 378 billion in profits for this quarter. [or something like that] While I doubt that Starbucks is actually going to implode in a cloud of burnt espresso vapor, it did make me reconsider where I spend my money. [never mind that my lactose intolerance has required a switch to pretty much the cheapest thing on the menu - a tall americano]

I don't want my neighborhood Starbucks to close.

Sure, I have only ever seen two cute guys hanging out there in all my years of lurking hopefully with an ipod and journal [see, i am an optimist]. Yeah, it's mostly middleaged sweaty people and cutesy moms with croc-ed/baby gapped toddlers. Of course I get really sick of the Jack Johnson/Feist songs blared just a little too loud. But the baristas are friendly and know regulars, just like at the indie cofee shop.

Why is it so American to hate whoever is on the top? This theory doesn't require proof anymore [see any hipster newspaper or novel by steinbeck or malamud], but it maybe still requires some thought. Why do I fervently hate the mediocre in a cup of coffee, yet settle for almost anything as far as relationships [with god, family, or otherwise]? Why do I look down on the green apron, yet fall for every band t-shirt that walks past? [actually, i think i'm starting to outgrow that. now i mostly fall for nice ties] Should I care more about non-genetically-modified food for myself or anything edible for starving kids around the world?

I think the fact that I even have time and energy to consider these questions reveals a lot about how easy I have it compared to most. So there's my secret: I don't mind Starbucks. Yeah, they're a big corporation: inefficent and impersonal on many levels.

Sometimes I want a great cup of coffee from the local indie cafe. But sometimes the free itunes track, pumpkin bread samples, and comfy chairs suit me fine.

Plus I'm out of cash and found an old Starbucks gift card lying around.

6 comments:

holly darling smith said...

I thought I'd never see you fall off the deep end, Em.... ;)

Peruvian food? Um, yes. I mostly hate it, but just today of all days I was thinking about it. Yes! BEFORE your text. Ha. Even in all its disgusting-ness, I was day dreaming of it and my little life in Peru... and it made me homesick for it... For fried strange looking things, ceviche, potatoes, fish eggs... :( Please, let's go there.

Nathan Winslow said...

I'm in one of those (not so rare, as it turns out) moods where I'm somber and highly reflective, far from the easily excitable chap often displayed. Anyhow, I appreciated your post. I don't drink that much coffee, but I do push against the man, and I am thankful for your comments on how blessed we are. So, yeah, thank you.

lyss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lyss said...

Good post. I like that you used coffee to talk about deeper issues. So northwest. I miss it.

I'm into supporting starbucks too (here in Oman) because the local coffee places serve nescafe instant coffee (to mostly men anyway). It may be charming on a small city tradition type level, but on the level of Coffee Quality? Um, no. So I go to the capital and get some bux for all my home caffienating needs.

Allison said...

nice.
thanks for going deeper. (and coming over)

tea88 said...

I like these thoughts, Em. I went to my local Starbucks in a mall (gasp! here in Ireland!) to see if they had any Christmas blend left. They didn't, so I bought some Sumatra. I still have a bit of an aftertaste in my work from working there (no pun intended). I was glad that I still have freedom inside to buy the coffee that I'm hankering for, even when it turns out to be Starbucks.