Monday, June 20, 2005

"do you ever take it off any sweet jumps?"...

As Portland newest [and cutest? well, debatable though it may be, you have to admit that it rhymes...] bike commuter, I am officially within my right to start complaining about the tumultuous relationship between hip, eco-conscious, classy individuals like myself and the evil man driving the gas guzzling truck who attempted to squish me this morning.

Riding a bike eight miles a day to work and back is a lovely experience. The morning commute is better, because there aren't as many annoying people on the road. And somehow, going south always seems like going downhill...[oh, wait. it actually is]

I like bike lanes. Yes, it is bad when they take out a road of traffic for the occaional biker's convenience, but I do appreciate my two feet of personal space early in the morning.

Yes, I realize that you are paying an outrageous amount to drive your ridiculous H3, and that you have paid for that extra two feet of roadspace. Please do not expect me to give you that space when I am in it, though. Especially when there is no one else on the extremely wide road and I am staying in the shoulder like a good little cyclist.

All in all, I love the wind in my face, the neighborhoods, and the opportunities to smile at the nice motorists who let me ride in peace and smile back.

Have you hugged a cycle-commuter today?

1 comment:

Allison said...

emilina, you just make me happy inside. *Muuuuuuah*