Thursday, August 04, 2005

my [office] space...

Tomorrow being my last day of work at Airway, I wanted to post a tribute to my best work friend of the Summer. Though our relationship began with much suspicous eying of each other, all preconceived ideas were removed within the first week of our acquaintance.

To tell you the truth, I was afraid of him at first. A sleek, shiny-black little fighter, [the "Swingline" model] capable of penetrating up to 25 sheets at a time without breaking a sweat. But then I discovered that we have much in common. He's originally from Illinois and doesn't think much of the Midwest either.

Strange to come to that place at the end of your Summer Job when you realize that you'll miss: a. your excellent weekly paycheck and b. your stapler.

I'm tempted to smuggle him out of the building [without burning it down, however] or throw a fit-ala-Lucy-Kelson and keep him with me at school. But somehow, as good as he is, a stuffed animal or my round pillow will probably be better comfort. And he's happier here, where he'll get more use. I just don't staple enough at school.

put on my blue suede shoes
and i boarded a plane
touched down in the land of
the [sun and palm trees]
in the middle of the pouring rain

on [black] Tuesday, that is.

7 comments:

Allison said...

Yes, no burning down the place. Hehe. (I liked that post, btw)
So, is your phone not working or something? You should gimme a call. ...or I'll just come over to your house anyway. Muahahhaa you can't stop me.

Janice said...

hey, a Two Week's Notice reference...you don't run into those every day...

emelina said...

janice, janice, janice rae! do you know how happy you made me just by that one little '? apostrophe. it's beautiful and should be a part of everyone's daily language usage.

see "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." it will either change your life or affirm it. hopefully the latter.

Emma Rose said...

Hm. It's an interesting point you bring up, and one I never considered. When they filmed the movie, did they intende to title it "two weeks [of] notice"... or did they intend to title it "the notice of two weeks"???

Either way, I'd just like to point out that Jan Brady turns 49 today.

Emma Rose said...

...like the way I just turned "intend" into a fancy, French word? :)

emelina said...

Rosie, you crack me up. I'm so glad I got to see you yesterday.

Lola Bacon said...

Ah, beloved grammer nerds, my life is full of thee. My only two co-workers are beyond nerds, their natzis. And I'm marrying one in two weeks. Let me quote a recent blog entry of his:

On the way back, we stopped into Suncoast so he could buy his daughter a new movie to release him from the chokehold that the film “Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron” has put on him. As he was paying, I scanned the printed up sign listing upcoming DVD releases. On there was a listing for “Simpson’s season seven.” Being the dork that I am, I got a little riled up by that unnecessary apostrophe and started razzing the guy behind the counter about it.

Me: “So, whose season seven is this? O.J. Simpson? Jessica Simpson?”
Clerk: “Naw, man! The only Simpsons that matters!! And the packaging on this one is going to be the best ever. It’s going to be in the shape of Homer’s head!!”
Me: “No, I was just a little confused by the errant apostrophe on your sign there.”
Clerk: (blank stare)

I think I lost him somewhere between “errant” and “apostrophe”.