Thursday, August 25, 2005

some quality...

Don't you find it strange when someone else's words speak the thoughts milling around unformed and undefined in your head? When God lays a message on someone else's heart, and the communicates it through electronic means to yours?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy and will continue to post on this blog. It's my online notebook and a great way to communicate. But in my goals prayerfully considered for this semester, "breaking out" seems to be a theme. And it's going to take commitment, time, and effort. It is, however, something that God is calling me to do.

I'm not making promises or commitments about my levels of posting or AIMing. Only time will reveal, but I also can't ignore this feeling that I need to be more "here."

I've always struggled with the balance between being here and not giving up my Portland life or the Portland Emily. But, I've also believed that some resemblence to quality, not quantity, has made this blog enjoyable for myself and others. If nothing else, this is just a challenge to keep up that standard, if not to raise it.

Some things are not to be ignored.

My friends, there are relationships to deepen, there is Scripture to read, there is fresh air to breath, there is tennis to play, there are children to laugh and play with, there are great books to read, there are conversations and discussions to be had.
[there is homework to be done, challenges to face, and life to be enjoyed, where ever you are right now.]... Cheat all our so-called productivity and light-speed communication so that the stuff of real life - the stuff that really matters to us - isn't cheated. [full text]

I can't wait to see what this semester brings for all of us. I can't wait to read about it and talk about it. And, at the end of the day, remember the people and things that really matter to you. Don't cheat those things.

fin.

3 comments:

Josh said...

"Quality." Mmm... that word brings back so many memories. Thanks for the reminder. Good luck at school.

Gretchen Louise said...

Being "here" instead of "out there"...my continual balancing act.

And yet, my "here" is not always "here"... For my man is not "here" but 488 miles away...and now my best girlfriend is going to be on the other side of the world. So my "here" is going to be three different places at once...but I never want my "here" to be only online. The mailbox at the end of our driveway is my favorite reminder that it is all "here", with or without my computer.

Emma Rose said...

Hmmm. Yes, real mail is so much nicer. It's like receiving a world traveler into your home. The letter has been in the hands of the person who wrote it, and then made a long and perilous journey to bring those hands directly to you. It's so much more personal and adventurous. You're right.