Sunday, December 11, 2005

christmas cheer...

In some ways, Christmas is so much better as a kid. Well, the presents are better at least. Somehow, it's not as exciting when you're no longer getting toys... But the season itself becomes so much sweeter as you get older. The meaning becomes clearer and the time is more special. It's all about family, music, no homework, and of course, fudge.

I love that my family has been calling me every day since the beginning of December. I get to recite [from memory, of course. no mistakes yet!] the story on our Advent Calender. When I'm done every day, I get to listen to them arguing about who gets to put the next token in place.
Only four more days til I get to argue too!

The other question to ask the Maynards this time of year is, "What does the mantle say?" Let me explain...no, there's no time. Constitution papers and bed are calling my name...I'll sum it up.

Several years ago, my mom bought actual
stocking holders to hang on our mantle. The push pin holes just weren't working, I guess. The perfect numerical combination for our eight oversized knitted socks is found in the individual letters for "Joy" and "Peace." I'd be bragging to say that it was my genius English Major mind that immediately walked to the fireplace and created a new phrase. Though it's been at least a year since anything original appeared [only so much you can do with eight letters], our family has enjoyed many combinations of letters. [my mother gets mildly annoyed when it changes every time one of us walks into the living room. which, though it may come as a surprise, is acutally quite frequently]

Today, AmyGrace told me it actually says "Joy" and "Peace."
But only because she just changed it back...

2 comments:

Steph Garvey said...

that is hillarious

Rachel said...

oh, christmas at the maynards! I still remember the beautiful tree you had last year. last year!

em, you make me laugh and want to buy random letters to our new mantle...