Tuesday, December 27, 2005

snicket wisdom...

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.

Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck.

Deciding whether or not to trust a person is like deciding whether or not to climb a tree, because you might get a wonderful view from the highest branch, or you might simply get covered in sap, and for this reason many people choose to spend their time alone and indoors, where it is harder to get a splinter.

I'm finished with number ten in A Series of Unfortunate Events. I just read the entire thing in one sitting at Starbucks. Talk about a good day. I also finished a 550 page book by Mark Helprin and am about to start another. Can I just quit school and read for a living?

1 comment:

Lola Bacon said...

I LOVE those books!!!! I read one through twelve as fast as Bob's band mate would bring them to me. You, being quite the reader, probably caught far more of the literary and historical allusions than I did the first time around. Daniel Handler is a first class genius.