Sunday, September 24, 2006

lately...

College students seem to always be complaining about "the long week," but this last one actually was... I had three midterms: Monday (Art History), Wednesday (WWII: A Global History), and Friday (Classical Mythology). Hey, winning two out of three isn't bad, right?

One of my main hang outs this year is the Blue House, home to Stephanie, Kristi, and Megan. It's also the closest off-campus house to my dorm, which is highly convenient. I love my room, but it's so different to be able to relax in a home rather than a dorm room. These girls are so hospitable (though I haven't slept on their couch as much as I did at the Statehouse), they inspire me to keep up the search for my own house next year. Seriously, it is such a blessing.

Steph and Kristi have also started a little trend, which happens to be my favorite thing about this year: bonfire nights! They dug a little firepit in their backyard and, with signed approval from the fire chief, they warm our hearts and our toes on a semi-regular basis. This past Friday, it rained. Hard. The lightning cut out the power to my fridge (something I didn't discover til the next morning. room temperature cheese is so gross!), but the fire kept burning. I missed most of the downpour/lightning while eating Mr. Bills' cookies and catching up on The Office with the rest of my crowd, but there was still plenty of drizzle left in the sky when I headed over to the Blue House. [btw, i love how portlanders describe rain. you all know exactly what i'm talking about when i say 'drizzle' vs. 'mist' vs. 'rain' vs 'downpour']

Fall fires are one of the things I miss the most about my lovely old house in Portland. We don't usually turn on the heat until nearly November, because eight people and a fireplace in a small house keep us nice and cozy. Blue House Bonfires are the best possible alternative [although they don't have marshmallow roasting sticks! i am going to buy some for them, because a bonfire without the possibility of s'mores is more tragic than hamlet].
eMay, Stephanie, Kristi

Seriously, though, you need to be really jealous of my life. When was the last time you read T.S. Eliot, recited A.A. Milne and liturgical prayers, and listened to amazing bluegrass ballads with amazing people...around a campfire...in the rain...long after a proper bedtime? Yeah, I thought so. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Emma Rose said...

midterms?? has it really been that long? wow. school starts for me on wednesday.

Lola Bacon said...

I would be jealous of your life were it not for my own amazing experiences. Being a wife and step mom is the best.