Sunday, September 17, 2006

to toledo, and beyond...

It has been a non-homework, lots of driving, lots of good conversation weekend. And now that it's over and I want to write about it, it's time to do that homework...

This afternoon, I went to the Toledo Art Museum for the afternoon. I carried around a fat little notebook for scribbling purposes. I wrote down a lot of artist's names for further investigation. And then, I just started writing down my thoughts.

This is a little glimpse of what it's like to be in Emily's head while spending time in an art gallery:

-Mosaics are hot. I want one.
-I feel like I should stand longer at the paintings I don't like, so I at least try to understand or appreciate them.
-I ask two questions when I come to a work of art. They represent two different ways of looking at this: a. do I like it? b. would I put this on my wall?
-I'm sitting in front of two Van Gogh's. [group of houses and wheat fields with reaper] I am trying to determine what appeals so much in these paintings. I like the rhythm, the texture, and the depth of his colors. I like the fuzziness of impressionism, but I love it best in Van Gogh. The sheaves of wheat look like women dancing across a ballroom floor in full, elegant dresses. It appeals to me like a mosaic: all the little pieces and squiggles and experiences fir together to make the painting of who I am. I like the squiggles best. They represent something.
-I like pictures of ships, but I'm glad I don't have to wear Victorian era clothes. They make me tired.
-What is The Thinker thinking about? He looks sad.
-Dutch, Danish, French. I like them.
-I see this room [the great room, with 17th century paintings] as a whole, more than the individual paintings on the walls. High ceilings, red walls, long. I like the pattern on the wood floor and I like that my cute gold flats don't make any noise.
-One smiling guy. He looks like a fun time.
-I wish the people around me were speaking French. One should only speak French in art museums.
-I have never found a still life of flowers or fruit that I liked.
-This Japanese exhibit is making me want Sushi. And a Samurai sword.
-Hey, a little tiny carved mouse!
-In here, a small cough echoes like thunder. I feel like I should apologize for clearing my throat. And the growlings of my stomach.
-I am definitely going to Italy.
-Ansel Adams. Once again, I am reminded of the Eternal Question: what the heck am I doing in Michigan?
-Good art does represent reality. It doesn't always look like reality, but it describes it in some way. Bad art is a reality of a fallen world. In Heaven, there will only be good art. That will be pretty sweet.

2 comments:

Aine said...

Yarr.

Allison said...

Very awesome.
Heh... I forgot a sketchbook/notebook when Josh and I went to the Seattle Asian Art Museum (where part of the regular mueseum is being housed currently).
So I covertly took pictures instead.
:D
I like what you said, I wish we could chat. - with the exception of the "Would I put this on my wall" question. I feel that is a totally unnecessary issue. But that's okay. Sometimes it is truely fun to imagine them on your wall. FUn to take it a step further and imagine it in your bathroom. Very fun.
Loves!