Sunday, July 03, 2005

r-o-d-e-o...

it's bulls and blood
it's dust and mud
it's the roar of a sunday crowd
it's the white in his knuckles
the gold in the buckle
he'll win the next go round


Friday night, the Maynards were out on the town. The town of Molalla, Oregon, to be exact. I can't say much for the hamlet itself, but the locals sure as anything know how to put on a Rodeo.

We enjoyed three solid hours of beer-and-johndeere-sponsered blarin' country, boots, hats, cheesy announcer jokes, mud, bulls, steers, barrels, broncos, and of course...the cowboys.

They were all there: the Codys, Caseys, Bradys, and Clays; the Tys, Zacks, and Matts; the Howdys, the Rowdys, and Joes; and two young men named [no joke] Kass Kayser and Heath Ford. [if those ain't right good cowboy names, then i ain't never read louis lamour]
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
braids and curls with [four of] the maynard girls

My embarassing confession of the week is that I've always wanted to be a Rodeo Queen. With a name like Emily, I have an advantage, too. [you have to have a y in your name to be a Rodeo Princess. for example: [and all those who are planning their childrens' futures] kaylynn, amy, kelly, tiffany, katy, ashley, kimberly, kayla, stacy, and lindsey are all good rodeo queen names. any extra "e's" or "y's" you could throw in there would be great, too] And I could smile big and wear heinous amounts of sequins and gigantic earrings and give stickers to kids at county fairs...

However, I have two main setbacks in my quest for the jeweled hat: city girl and straight hair. If I had been born with a pony and big hair, I'd be in for sure. I have enough teeth.

I did manage to get my picture with this year's models. They gave me a signed picture of all their checked-shirt, bottle-blonde glory with the notation "rope your dreams." Oh, yeah. Definitely going to be the main feature of next fall's dorm room decor.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
queen caylee, emily, princess kimberly

My dad pointed out another slight setback with my country dreams and I had to agree with him. I'm not "sturdy" enough. My friends, if you want to feel good about yourself, I suggest you enter a Rodeo Queen beauty contest. You'll be hanging out with ladies who are a little on the...*ahem* Well, lets's just say there aren't any eating disorders 'round here.

Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to win that Oscar in order to become famous...
Until then, I'll meet you in Molalla.

it's boots and chaps
it's cowboy hats
it's spurs and latigo
it's the ropes and the reins
and the joy and the pain
and they call the thing
rodeo

5 comments:

Rachel said...

You are a mess... Come to Texas and we'll show you a real, big, genuine, rodeo.

When are we ever going to live near each other so we can hang out all the time?!

Anyway, I miss you. Love ya,

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Didi... there are no "y"s in there, but I could do it. ;-)

Allison said...

ah haha haha! such funniness. lol. i love you em.

Emma Rose said...

this post officially makes you my hero for the week, and that's all I've got to say about it.

Anonymous said...

That's my favorite Garth song. How sweet is that?

Don't I owe you a call?

g