Sunday, September 18, 2005

downsizing...

I have always been a closet-clean fiend. [do i start out too many posts with "i have always...]? As in, the only clothes allowed in my closet are those that actually get worn. Every major season change, [with the exception of a few necessary articles] the contents of my closet and drawers gets a major overhaul [As in, I haul the same old clothes up from the boxes in the basement, not that i actually get new clothes].

At home, I've been the sole executioner of many articles of clothing belonging to myself and other family members [but we simply don't have the space for the long unworn]. The logic, however, is infallible [most of the time. continue]. If you don't wear it, why should it be taking up space?

My general argument still holds up, though one noticable flaw has appeared. A little black skirt.

It was purchased secondhand [goodwill] for a particular occasion [one involving working on october 31, a japanese menu, sharpies, some foil stars, eyeliner, and a few extra tips on a slow night] and honestly never warn since. I don't know why I kept it. It defied all the odds, and somehow even made it to school with me [probably because it takes up virtually no space when wrapped up tightly].

And suddenly, one day, it's my favorite 'lay around in' article of clothing. I can't believe I've been avoiding it all this time [some proportion adjustment may have a factor, now that i think about it. this has been a skirt of hope. and now it's a skirt of reality].

Good thing the rules have exceptions, ay? [yeah, ask me what i learned this summer about saying 'never'...]

What life lessons have you learned from your closet lately?

6 comments:

Allison said...

Ah... that was a Good halloween. We're basically the best ninjas ever.
Heh... in *my* case, that little black skirt was a skirt of reality and has since been discarded -perhaps sent back to goodwill- as a think of the past... a far away place that is smaller not just by a trick of the eye, but smaller in reality.

Aine said...

Q: What life lessons have you learned from your closet lately?

A: What works for some will not always work for you.

Lola Bacon said...

The life lesson I've learned recently from my closet is this: if wish your extra bags to remain free of cat hair and urine, don't accidently shut your cat in the closet.

Josh said...

q: what life lessons have you learned from your closet lately?

a: Never let it explode or leak it starts to get out of hand.

Emma Rose said...

Q: What life lessons have you learned from your closet lately?

A: I enjoy chocolate too much. (Among other things.) ...But then, I don't really think it's possible to enjoy chocolate too much. So maybe the lesson would be that new wardrobes are expensive.

Q2: What life lessons have you learned from your closet lately?

A2: Every girls' closet is a place where fantasy and reality collide. Therefore, an opening to Narnia must exist somewhere...

Aine said...

Touché, Emma Rose. (for A2.) Touché.