Wednesday, September 14, 2005

thoughts of 3.14...

I'm reading a really interesting novel called The Life of Pi. It's full of interesting thoughts on religion, animals, people, and God. Being a dogmatic fundamentalist, I don't agree with everything, but I do like seeing my world expand. The prose is beautiful and deep-without-being-cryptic-or-weird. This is just one of the few things I pulled today:

Doubt is useful for a while. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst forth from the cross, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' then surely we are also permitted to doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Mmm... thanks for posting that. Doubt can really be an amazing thing, strange as it sounds.
I've wondered about how that book is. Thanks for mentioning it. Cool.