Monday, January 23, 2006

flying solo...

Another semester is flying by. I've been gone from Portland for a week, yet it seems like a lifetime. Leaving is never easy. The four months stretching out ahead of me seem long, but I know they will be behind me soon. Whether I'll return to this place next fall is somewhat precarious, but for the first time I'm confident that I'd survive two more years of Hillsdale. I'm torn in two, yet peaceful. Everything looks good with the advisor, so financial aid at UP is the last obstacle.

There have been a few changes to good ol' McIntyre 202.

For the first time in twenty years, I have my own room. Aubrey moved across the hall and the wise administration decided to woo me with the charms of a single. Sadly, I'm forbidden from moving the furniture, but the extra bed has been christened my "study couch" [it's right by the window. yesterday was warm enough to open it up and get some fresh air to go with my american lit] You're free to visit anytime. I've diffused my life to fill a space the size of my living room. Oh, and I have a drawer just for socks. [talk about being spoiled]

The first few nights were rather strange. The presence of another person's stuff, even if that person isn't ever in the room before you go to sleep, is oddly comforting. Maybe I'm more fearful of the dark, knowing it's only my own insecurities who can jump out at me. I fall asleep with my ipod every night. [still the best thing i've ever bought]

I also have been given a tv. Haven't really used it much, but anytime you want to watch Jeopardy or the Food chanel, come on down.

Aside from the extra drawer space, I was presented with the gift twice as much wall space. Enough pictures exist to scrapbook the wall, but since college is the time for fulfilling your dreams, I figured I might as well do something productive...

I'm opening an art gallery.

I have been hunting for the perfect name [aside from 'the speckled dot,' which sounds like a pub. or a chicken] not too many have been submitted. So, I'm here to announce the great

NAME THAT GALLERY contest.
[runs through january 30th]
grand prize: lifetime season pass to all exhibits
runner up: a fudgesicle

Having a single room means that I'm in here less frequently. I'm up the hill in class [for the first time, i actually like them!] or work all day and I've been spending evenings with friends or studying. [or being addicted to 'house, md.' hugh laurie is amazing] I'm also finding it easy to distance myself from my computer. Remember how tied I was to it first semester? I've hardly been online at all, comparatively. I miss blogging, but this week I've needed to settle back in here.

I've been reading The Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney and listening to Derek Webb's new cd. Talk about being challenged. I'd like to do a quotes/lyrics post soon, if you'll actually read it.

Send me a letter.

Right now I feel like I live half of my non-class/work time in the dance studio. It'll probably be that way til the end of March, after the Highland performance. I'm there four to five hours a week, plus two ballet I sections, ballet II, and modern.

This afternoon I baked a funfetti cake. With sprinkles.

Starting a new semester is confusing. In some ways, you're completely starting over. Friends change and join sororities, but others don't. You fade in and out of people's lives, despite living within feet of them. Classes change, but you still have homework. One drama ends, only to be replaced with the opportunity for another. There's still nothing good on television.

Forget this whole 'reinvention' idea and just grow.

3 comments:

Josh said...

I'd love a lyrics quote post from DWebb (that's his rapper name). I know a good name for a coffee shop/bookstore/internet cafe/church but no art gallery.

Aine said...

Gallery suggestions:

Clarion ("clear", as you know)

A Day of Rain

Imminent Revolution

The Smattering

Allison said...

How about "Gallery #1"? or "My Picutres are Better Than Yours" or "College Girls Gone Wild" (similar idea to how BNL got their name...)
;D