Thursday, January 12, 2006

post holiday...

Why do I schedule flights so early in the morning? Haven't I learned by now that when my flight leaves at 6:20 AM, I get no sleep the night before? But when does one ever sleep when facing a four month journey into the Tundra? I am excited to see my girls, however. The prospect of having my own room is slightly lonely sounding, but also kind of nice. We'll see what sort of trouble I can cause...

Starbucks has stopped serving my extra-hot, non-fat lattes in cheery red cups. Somehow, that makes me really sad. I think they tasted better out of those holiday cups. I guess this means Christmas is really over and school is really starting once again. It's funny, because I was thinking about my future the other day and predicted that I would be one of those people eternally in school. There are so many more things I want to study besides English: business, languages, art, film, history... I'm going to get my degree and still take summer classes. Ha!

Yesterday, I was running errands and ended up wandering downtown all by myself. It was kind of nice. It had rained hard all morning, but the sun was shining on the wet pavement and dripping trees. The people here really are amazing to see. I passed businessmen coiffured in the style of Richard Gere, a homeless woman, a posse of Emo youth, normal college students, and touristy-shoppers. It's strange, because I feel safer down here than in the streets of Hillsdale. The coffee shops, the architecture, the weather, the people...Not that I won't travel the world and live in other cities, but Portland will always be in my blood.

I've got this city under my skin.

No comments: