Sunday, January 29, 2006

mockingbird...

I have to admit that it has taken me a little time to adjust to Derek Webb's new cd, Mockingbird.

Lewis says that every substantial discussion has to start at the Creation, but I think I'll just start at Webb's first solo cd. She Must and Shall Go Free, was pretty easy to swollow. It is easier to talk about the things good Christians know: we are bad, Jesus is good. It is easy for us to say 'nobody loves me but You.' We even nod and mutter 'amen' to the line 'the truth is never sexy.' Gosh, we know that! I mean, look at the persecution we face for being Christians in America! [yet how often are we actually just rejected because we're jerks? i know that's the only reason i'm not the most popular person on campus. it has nothing to do with speaking the truth of the gospel - see 1 peter]

We like talking about the broad pictures of Christ setting us free, sanctifying and cleansing us, and viewing the Church as His bride. The love of God is a nice subject for songs. Even if we have to acknowledge that we are helpless, we'd rather talk about redeption than taking up a cross daily and following Jesus. Don't get me wrong: Redeption is important. It is the central message of Christianity, the center of every other discussion of the Christian life. The Gospel is the complete message. We can only understand truth, beauty, life, baptism, art, and evangelism in relationship to the Gospel. Webb does well to center this cd, and those following, on the Gospel. She Must and Shall Go Free is an excellent reminder of Jesus as Savior and Lover.

[insert a review of webb's second cd, I See Things Upside Down, which i haven't heard yet]

Mockingbird presents a little more of a challenge. Webb's music is saturated with the Gospel, yet he sings of the human tendency to remove or ignore the central message of the Cross. His lyrics are a challenge and shocking reminder to evaluate and refocus our lives. Webb himself said this album is about 'God, politics, and social issues.' The sound of the album is smooth and perfect for peaceful background music, but the content fails to go down as easily as the harmony.

One reviewer on amazon writes 'the songs make me think but do not tell me what to think.' I see his point, but disagree. These songs do tell me what to think and what to do: to make Christ's sacrifice and grace an active part of the way I live.

In my Religion class,[love the prof so much i'm contemplating a religion minor] we are discussing various views on the nature of theology. We read an interview with an Orthodox Bishop who presented the idea that theology is not an intellectual discipline, but prayer. I disagree. Good theology will transform all areas of your life, including prayer, but my Western Protestant view is that theology is more of 'head' part of Christianity. It transforms my heart through truth and a correct view of the gospel. If this is true, then Derek Webb is a theologian song writer.

A New Law brought up memories of my past life as a TeenPacter. Though I thought about it a little during my internship, I have become more convinced through college that my knowledge of truth and the Gospel drives my social views, not the other way around. I pray that my work with TeenPact didn't create a population of Republican Robots, but encouraged a generation of intelligent believers. Webb's reverse psychology is striking:
don't teach me about politics and government
just tell me who to vote for
I pray that this year's team of Interns and students would allow the Gospel to drive their various social positions and challenge a generation to act based on truth.

Webb continues:
don't teach me about truth and beauty
just label my music
don't teach me how to live like a free man
just give me a new law

don't teach me about moderation and liberty
i prefer a shot of grape juice
don't teach me about loving my enemies
don't teach me how to listen to the Spirit
just give me a new law

i don't want to know if the answers aren't easy
just bring it down from the mountain for me

I'm so greatful for Professors like my history teacher, Dr. Stewart, who is not afraid to admit that the answers aren't easy, and Professor Bauman, who's passion for a Christ centered life has led him to devote years to unifying the heart and intellect for the Gospel.

I woke up late this morning and attended Bedside Baptist with two sermons from Imago Dei's Rick McKinley. His sermon on Romans I spoke strongly against our tendency to make God in our own image. It is in fact God's mercy which gives us our own desire rather than immediate judgement for our frequent idoltry. I made the connection to Webb's song King & a Kingdom:
there are two great lies i have heard:
"the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die"
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class, republican
and if you want to be saved you have to learn to be like Him

my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a King and a Kingdom

Your belief in Jesus Christ should drive your views on politics, not the other way around. We must keep our focus on the pure Gospel of the Bible in order to keep Christ in His true form. Webb then suggest that our human nature is our true enemy, not those who disagree with us on social or political issues:
but nothing unifies like a common enemy
and we've got one, sure as hell
but he may be living in your house
he may be raising up your kids
he may be sleeping with your wife
oh no, he may not look like you think

Rich Young Ruler is a powerful [and convicting] reminder of the ease which materialism supercedes the Gospel in our lives. What would you do if Jesus really called you to give up everything you own, everything you've worked for? What would I do? But Webb insists it's even more than a charity donation:
He says, more than just your cash and coin
i want your time, i want your voice
i want the things you just can't give me

Webb finishes strong with Love is Not Against the Law, a thoughtful encouragement to the greatest of three abiding virtues. I need this right now, as I'm faced once again with close contact with an individual who brings up memories of Oklahoma. [apparently, i didn't learn anything there, because my attitude hasn't been very graceful this time, either]

If you want some easy listening, I'd suggest Nickel Creek, as always. But if you want some easy listening melody with plenty of hard core theology, buy yourself some Derek Webb. I also suggest adding this duo to your library.

The race is not to the swift, my friends. It's not to the mindless Mockingbirds.
It's a steady, constant focus on the main thing: the Gospel of Christ crucified, risen, and glorified.

1 comment:

Josh said...

thanks