Saturday, March 01, 2008

trivia...

I'm almost done with the L chapter in The Know It All [one man's humble quest to become the smartest person in the world]. I halfway bought the book for the cover design and halfway paid-full-price-at-powell's because this is totally something I wish I would have the guts to do. Jacobs' book is a memoir of a collection of facts, rabbit trails, and personal reflection. I like rabbit trails - through them, the entire universe is connected.

Since I'm not likely to add the Encyclopedia to my reading list any time soon, I have to stick with vicarious learning. Some of my favorite quotes so far include Jacobs' interview with Alex Trebech, where he records my latest [in a long line of] motto[s]: "I'm curious about everything - even things that don't interest me." [i get it from my dad]

Also among the bounty of laugh-out-loud and wish-i-had-someone-to-share-this-with moments [gosh, i'm really into those phrases-as-words lately] is this paragraph, under the heading Loyd Webber, Sir Andrew:
"That's the feeling I want to get back. I want the world's hidden meanings to leap out at me like a Chinese jumping mouse. I want to see the grand arcs and the big picture. I want to shock people with the incisiveness of my analysis. On the other hand, I don't really want to see any more musicals about trains."

Me too, AJ. Me, too.

I think this is definitely going to be one of those books added to my giant Book Sharing Gift Giving Adventure [where i use other people as my excuse to buy books guilt-free. you're invited to reciprocate], but I'm at a complete loss as who to send it to. Maybe I'll just write a completely random address on it and drop it in a mailbox. "Dear Friend, I hope you love this book as much as I love learning random trivia. Yours, E"

2 comments:

holly darling smith said...

Sounds like an amazingly delicious book, Em. You could randomly send it to me.. but then.. that really wouldn't be random.

Oooo! The address you send it to could lead you to the *love of your life*! How freaky would that be? He'd be like..."um...I think I need to get to know this 'E'...' and then he feverishly searches high and low for you (while a precariously beautiful soundtrack plays in the background, of course)...and he just about finds you each time....and he is about to give up hope....but THEN! He sees you....he runs....he takes his chance....he lays everything out on the line....and.................

........You'll have to tell me how it ends. It's not *my* story.

:)

emelina said...

Wow. Holly. I'm really glad life is not that dramatic. Although I do love a good soundtrack.