Tuesday, March 15, 2005

sunny sounds...

I slept better last night than I have in weeks. And it was all due to the gnomes that live under my sink...

For several weeks, on and off, the aforementioned gnomes have apparently been filling dixie cups full of water and dumping them on the carpet in the corner by our sink and bathroom door [gnomes always use dixie cups when they're causing mischief].

There is also a theory that Esther and I have discovered the Eternal Spring of Youth and Fashion under the corner of our dorm room [explains a lot, doesn't it]. If this is the case, we should probably bottle the water and sell it at excessively inflated prices to French tourists [because there are so many french tourists in hillsdale] and donors [because some of them could frankly use it]. Maybe then I could afford to launder all the socks that have become gross because I'm always forgetting that the carpet is wet...

In any case, the dampness - nay, downright sogginess - in our carpet is hopefully not caused by a leaky pipe underneath our sink. We have ruled out the suggestion that we keep flooding the bathroom and let the water run out underneath the door [that theory requires some highly atheltic water, because there's a mountainous ledge that it would have to cross. watch your toes on that ledge, by the way].

Though it is certainly the intent of the diabolical [iago-ish, for all you shakespeare buffs] gnomes to destroy my socks and life, their plan has backfired thanks to Jimbo.

Jimbo is a large, grey boxfan that is currently residing in our room [breaking countless school rules, most likely]. I adore him for two reasons: a. a box fan sounds like home and b. he sounds like summer.

Jimbo's affectionate hum reminds me of all the years that I have spent sleeping away Portland summers to the noise of a distant relative of his [a cousin, most likely]. Even when I graduated to my current homeroom, Hannah and I keep an oscillating fan on for most of the summer [if not longer]. Though I'm still five days from [sunny] home and three months from summer, the melodies of Jimbo the Boxfan are keeping me happy [sentimental], my socks dry, and my room mold-free.

Take that, you heartless capitalist gnomes!

sunny days keepin' the clouds away
i think we're coming to clearing
and a brighter day
so far away, still i think they say
the wait will make your heart grow stronger or fonder

2 comments:

Gretchen Louise said...

You have such a cute way of writing! :)

But I hate to break it to you that there is no sunshine here right now. It's very windy, very cold, and very cloudy. Alas, the rain has not yet shown its wet face, however. We need it desperately (we're more than 10 inches behind our usual rainfall), and I'm praying for rain for the farmers ;), but so far all I've seen is wind and clouds.

Of course, Mom wants sunshine when Will is home, so we'll see if you and Will bring the sunshine back home or not. :)

Have a beautimous day!!

Aine said...

Your Dixie Cup gnomes wouldn't be related to the Sidewalk Chalk variety that are employed by SGA candidates, and in similar "Iago-ish" fashion plague UA students with multi-color shoe soles?

...because that would be a kind of cross-country commisery. Which would be cool.