Tuesday, February 13, 2007

little house in the big woods...

We are having a right-on blizzard outside right now. Another six inches on top of the six we already had, with another four-six adding on tonight. That, in itself, wouldn't be so terrible, if it weren't for the wind [and by terrible, i mean really cool and exciting, as long as you stay indoors].

The wind has drifted the snow in strange patterns and rises, completely covering the sidewalks that were constantly being cleared all day. Occasionally, you can still see patches of raw sidewalk, but mostly you have to pick your way through drifts based on the footprints left by predecessors or the suggestion of a valley ['do you see those hills? my house is between those hills...']. It's kind of surprising when you step on a supposed sidewalk and find your boots sunk in two feet of snow because you accidentally walked off the curb. It's even more surprising when you have forgotten to wear boots.

I feel a little like Laura Ingalls Wilder. Remember when Pa had to walk holding on to a rope stretched between the barn and the house? Maybe I will read those books again after I graduate. I've been thinking about regionalism, globalization, and pioneers lately. I will write about that, soon.

Tomorrow is suppose to bring the end of this weather pattern. While it will be a little easier to stand up straight against the wind to walk up the hill [do you know what i mean when i say that? 'up the hill' refers to most of our campus buildings: dining, most classrooms, student center, offices, my job at central hall, library, etc, which are on a hill above all the dorms, music building, art building, etc], I kind of like the idea of being in a blizzard. From inside my room, that is.

1 comment:

Aine said...

I'm from Alabama. That means, I don't know what snow is, other than a word the weatherman uses to scare the schools into taking a day off.

But apparently it's supposed to be some variety of frozen water. So...are you saying the ground is covered with six inches of ice cubes?