Wednesday, February 28, 2007

harvey...

Today, I'd like to remember my grandfather, who died four years ago. The movie Harvey always reminds me of him, not because Elwood P. Dowd is crazy, but because he is simply nice, just like my grandpa.

One of the things I'll always remember about Grandpa is his ability to make conversation with anybody. That polite, interested character played so perfectly by Jimmy Stewart is exactly the same. They both care about people. I remember being in a hardware store, the Children's Museum, or an ice cream shop and he'd just talk to people; he'd ask them about themselves or ramble off on some story. But he'd always listen. I like that. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but now I realize that more people [me] need to be like that.

When Elwood listens or speaks, I see the gangly figure of my grandfather. Even if he could be anywhere else, thanks to Harvey, he tells the doctor, "I haven't been able to think of any place I'd rather be. I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with. I'm having a fine time right here with you, Doctor."

Here's to a fine time and a fine man.

1 comment:

Allison said...

aw. going to the children's museum with emily's grandpa. i have such distinct, wonderful memories.