Tuesday, August 24, 2004

the first test...

Welcome to McIntyre Room 107. Please enjoy your stay. Just ignore the offensive language written in glow in the dark paint on your ceiling. Once the lights are off for a while, it fades. Make sure you appriciate the beautiful view of the Arb out the large back window. (okay, so mostly you can just see the fence...but it's still cool.) Posters will be arriving soon. The fridge is stocked with veggies, soymilk, and of course, a jicama! The phone, which should be installed by this afternoon, can be made to ring by dialing (517) 439-7366. If you're lucky, we might even answer it!

Classes begin tomorrow (schedule will be posted later.), but I had my first test Saturday night. Unfortunantly, I was not prepared for it. We have yet to see what my final grade will be.

My wallet got snatched. Yes, I said my wallet. Complete with my birthday money, all the cash my grandma had given me while walking onto the plane, and all the rest I had managed to scrape out of the corners of my room. And my driver's licence. And my ATM and credit card. And my birthday Starbucks gift card that I was saving for a special occasion. It was very not cool. I got everything cancelled, etc, but I was pretty miffed about losing all my living money for the next 3 1/2 months.

Sometimes it's really hard to live on this sinful earth, you know? It fho' sho' didn't help my phobia of trusting people.

However, I am confident that God will bless me somehow because of it. He is the only reason I am at school, and I guess He wanted me to remember that every good and perfect thing comes from Him. Jesus Christ is the only things sustaining me physically, spiritually, and financially. The verse that has been on my mind for the past couple of weeks is Hebrews 12:29 - "For our God is a consuming fire." This has really been a test of faith, but hopefully it will help me keep this whole year in a right perspective.

I'm pretty homesick. It's a foreign emotion for me, but I've been hit hard. I really miss my sister Hannah. I'm having a hard time getting excited about meeting people. Esther is really good for me...she's a social bug and so being around her forces me to meet more people.

Address your letters, presents, cash donations to: Mc Intyre 107, 305 Hillsdale St, Hillsdale, MI 49242.

Hang in there.

4 comments:

Gretchen Louise said...

Hey girl!!!! Wow, so glad to hear you got to college...but sounds like you've had quite the time of it!! Poor thing. I'm sending some hugs from Oregon, okay?!?! HUGS. :)

Anonymous said...

duuude... if i was there i'd beat somebody up for taking my best friends wallet... or at least send you some of my money... if i had any. guess im a crummy best friend, but i love you that's gotta count for somethin' ;)

Anonymous said...

hey em....i'm so sorry about your wallet. that can really give you an upsetting start in the new hood. :(
i know how you feel - wanting to not get out there and socialize to the max, and that's okay. you can chill - you have all year to get to know these people and if it stresses you out at first, dont worry about it. soon enough you'll feel comfortable and by that time everyone will know how totally rad you are and eveyrthing'll be fabulous !! (how was that for an amazingly running-on sentance. :D)
missing you,
mili

Aine said...

Notes have been made on all the vital stats. Pseudo-remedy may follow.

Hang in there.

p.s. I have a Coldplay poster! Yaaaaaah!