Thursday, October 27, 2005

in ord...

[excerpts from the brown book]

All my travel posts seem to start out, "there's something about airports..." and this one is no different.

...

There's something about airports that just makes me want to write. I can't help it. If they would let me be a travel writer, I would do my best work in airports. Even if I wasn't going anywhere, I would have to sit in an airport to be inspired. I can picture myself a little older:

I've learned to pack even lighter, live on far less, and love life more. I've got the ipod playing a mix of James Taylor and some hip new Euro underground easy listening. My trenchcoat is slung faithfully over the back of the seat and a digital ful of amazing pictures is tucked safely away in my backpack. Maybe I'm even typing this up on my adorable Powerbook; maybe I'm still scrawling in an old journal. I write about the people, mostly. Architechture, food, art, music, and history come next...

his life was unrecorded; who is there to write down the lives of ordinary people?

Maybe it's just the starved people-watcher inside of me. An airport always means possibility. The opportunity to see the world from a new angle and new eyes.

i love all the people whom God made, but i especially know how to love the people in this place [no. 1 ladies detective agency. smith].

...

Looking at a sea of faces and colors, I see so many images of God. His creation reflects Him in a distorted way, yet so clearly. People are amazing. It's Thursday, so it's mostly business travelers filling this place. I wonder if I'll look like that someday: power suit and red lipstick, scrounging down fast food for breakfast, juggling a cell phone and boarding pass...

I guess right now I'm perfectly content to be the vacationing college student: brownbook, ipod, red shoes, brown jacket, and boarding pass.

...

I have a strong feeling that the sign for Life looks a lot like the sign above the moving sidewalk:
please walk on the left
and stand on the right

Just call me Lefty.

2 comments:

Josh said...

In the words of Captain Jack Sparrow:

"A ship (airplane) isn't just a ship (airplane). It's not just rigging (lots of buttons), sails (wings), and a rudder (joystick). It's freedom."

I think I ruined that quote with the parantheses, but you get the idea.

Michael said...

I share your view of the airport as a literary gold mine. It gives perspective, which is what makes for good writing.