Saturday, October 22, 2005

ode to opry...

Where would we be without country music? I'm sure that some of you disagree, but let me tell you uninformed bigots that this world would be in a very bad emotional state without it.

Happy? Sad? In love? Angry? Partying? Dreaming? Contemplative? Apologetic? Dumped? Motherly? Daddy's girl? Crazy? Patriotic? Married? Single? Traveling? Rebellious? Homesick? Lovesick? Jealous? Tractor? Have we got a tune for you...

When someone else is being dramatic, it's much easier to be reasonable in your own feelings. Sure, certain songs inspire an increase in those emotions, but I personally think that identifying with a cheesy song also brings a little joy to an otherwise depressing situation. If you recognize the cheese, it makes it more fun and less stressful. And a good ol' ridiculous song makes all the amazing things in life seem just a little bit sweeter.

You can pretty much apply anything to something in your life. And making those crazy connections is a lot of fun.

[And maybe make a few song suggestions for all you haters. you won't last long]

...

i definitely made a new mix over the last couple of days: call it catharsis.

letters never sent - sean watkins
bring on the rain - jo dee messina
cry - faith hill
remember me - tim mcgraw
it's my time - martina mcbride
beaches of cheyenne - garth brooks
i'm moving on - rascal flatts
if i were you - kasey chambers
somebody more like you - nickel creek
best of luck - nickel creek
reasons why - nickel creek
goodbye is all we have - alison krauss
crazy as me - alison krauss
how's the world treating you - alison krauss/james taylor
cold cold heart - norah jones
whiskey lullaby - brad paisley/alison krauss
i don't have to live this way - alison krauss
if i didn't know any better - alison krauss
i'll think of you that way - carolyn dawn johnson
don't tell me - madonna
[i know, i know. massive public shame]
cold day in july - dixie chicks
not a day goes by - lonestar
stand beside me - jo dee messina

the dance - garth brooks


these songs are dramatic so i don't have to be.
love love to all.

11 comments:

Steph Garvey said...

beer for my horses...
those old wrinkles ain't nothin to be scared of...
muddy waters, Mississippi blessed Graceland whispers to
me, Carry on, Carry on, Sweet Southern Comfort carry on, ...
ice cold cherry coke

Gretchen Louise said...

Amen, amen, amen! :)

Especially all the Songs About Rain... :)

Janice said...

billy's got his beer goggles on...
she thinks my tractor's sexy...
what happens down in mexico...
this big, blue, note...
when i get where i'm going...
it takes a man to raise a child...
i'm all jacked up...
rewind barney for the sixteenth time...
softly she touches just skin...

i could go on and on and on...we need to convert allison. come home so i can meet you and then we can forcefeed her country until she can't listen to anything else. i think we could take her...

Josh said...

Please, please, please don't place your brainwashing upon others. Country music is good for the country, the south, backyard barbeque, tailgating (when it's hot), and a sunny warm beach - not Michigian, New York City (ewww), or heaven forbid (I've seen it happen) England. Let's try to keep it local and as miniscule as possible. Thanks.

Here's a few:
Man, I feel like a woman...
Sitting on the front porch drinkin' ice cold cherry coke
Good mornin, beautiful. How was your night

Aine said...

hate hate hate hate hate

Gretchen Louise said...

A couple years ago, I wrote "Why I Love Country Music" (to convince a friend of Country's merits. (Of course, a man named Merritt happened to be the one who introduced me to Country, but that's another story... ;) HE had me from hello. ;)) My friend never really converted to Country, but I sure had fun using alllll those song titles in the article (reading through it now, I remember some top hits from the time that haven't stayed on the radio...too bad...).

Gretchen Louise said...

I wonder why you keep getting such weird random comments on this post that have nothing to do with Country music? Hmm...the Internet is strange sometimes...

Gretchen Louise said...

Awwwwwwwwww, Em, your music mix is SO sad. ::sniff:: ::wants to send you a hug::

Emma Rose said...

I want that CD. What do I have to do to get a copy of the mix from you?? And Janice... no good with Allie, but nice thought. We tried four straight days of country music (in the middle of a Georgia summer and visiting places like Stone Mountain, no less!) with absolutely no luck. There isn't any hope for her.

Michael said...

Are you still in need of my "Best Break Up Songs" mix? It is made, I just haven't mailed it yet.

Thanks for the article too, I commented on my blog.

emelina said...

rosie, you have to swear to meet me for coffee in between some class during thanksgiving. i'm home on the 19th.

bets, my music is your music. if i get that over the rhine cd from you for a couple of mintues. i actually bought the james taylor/alison krauss song off itunes, i wanted it so bad. that was irresponsible of me to do that, but it was a dollar well spent.

oooh, i'm moving on...