Sunday, January 16, 2005

hi ho from phoenix...

[yesterday]

My last view of sunset over mountains. Even though it's hazy, the sight of the dark brown shadows against a pink and blue sky causes a lump in my throat.

I felt the same way when our plane stopped in the snowy mountains of Nevada earlier. Betsy and I decided that we needed to make some friends there so we could just go live for a while. [has nothing to do with slots. just mountains. really] A comforting thought is that Hillsdale will be snowy, with more expected this week. [and yes, i really am taking the direct route: portland to reno to phoenix to detroit to hillsdale. but for $72, one can handle almost anything]

Flying East isn't just a farewell to the mountains, it's a farewell to a way of life. It's amazing how everything can change so fast. Just a couple of hours from freezing rain to sun and palm trees. Another couple of hours to flat, cold, and culture shock.

I'm wondering if I'm bringing a little more of the friendly, optimistic Portland Emelina with me on this journey than I did in August. I hope she managed to find a way into one of my overstuffed suitcases. [and I told you I wouldn't have as much junk on my return to school. ha!] I wonder if that horrid, moody, anti-social School Emily will have softened a bit into something reasonably palatable. I hope she has. She can't possibly survive long in her last semester's state.

The colors have faded from the sky now. I can barely see the outline of that second step of mountains. Soon it will be only the city lights for comfort.

Bets is telling me about a Jewel song to use at the end of this post. Something about
leaving time again
heading out will all my friends
something, something, something
the blood, the guts, the beer

Hmm. Yeah. I'm not sure it's entirely fitting or appropriate to this post, [or any?] but thanks anyway. You and your fuzzy pink pillow are making this trip quite lovely. [even if you do have to climb over me a lot]

The time has arisen to board yet another [the final] plane...

I miss The Shire.
I spent all my childhood wishing I was off somewhere else.
Off with you on one of your adventures, Bilbo.
My own adventure turned out to be quite different.

No comments: