Monday, January 10, 2005

kids say...

I spent the day with two of my favorite boys, Andrew and Jonathan! I have been babysitting them for almost seven years and they are two of the sweetest, best, most creative and fun boys you will ever meet. Today was a day filled with card games, crashing trains on the computer trainset, air hockey and foosball [i still lose], a couple of superman cartoons, and the traditional papa murphy's pizza dinner.

Though now he's all grown up [almost 8!], and speaks like an intelligent adult, Jonathan used to have the most adorable babytalk...[yeah, i know, all babytalk is adorable. whatever] He couldn't comprehend how a word could begin with a vowel. Therefore, 'apple' was 'bapple,' his brother was 'Nan-ew' and my sister Abbie [we always argued about who got to go play with the boys. it's the sweetest 'job' ever] was 'Babbie.' I was 'Moie.'

Unfortunatly, my jobs, internship, and college have denied me the priviledge of playing with them very much over the last couple of years. They are such sweet boys, and though tv and attitudes are pretty much non-existant in their house, a little pop culture manages to sneak in. [probably from abbie and me] Playing with the boys tonight reminded me of my favorite 'so fast' story...

A little over a year ago, my schedule finally opened up for a visit. My long absence having apparently erased my name from their general vocabulary, the boys had been calling me 'Babbie' all day. Finally, during dinner, I joked, "Maybe I need to wear a nametag or something!" A then-six years old Jonathan rolls his big brown eyes at me and says with a patronizing grin, 'Duh. Like, I can't read!'

In other news, Happy Birthday to my hott and awesome sister Betsy!

ain't nobody wants to mess with 23...

No comments: