Wednesday, October 13, 2004

it's just me...

You can tell a lot about someone by looking at their bookshelves.

In my room at home, there are several of these pieces of furniture, positively straining at the literary load. In fact, if I had it my way, I probably wouldn't have anything else in my bedroom except bookshelves full of books, and a couch on which to lounge and read them.


The very top shelf of the tallest bookcase is reserved for my most prized posessions, my literary treasures. The contents have varied slightly over the years, but not too much. I've added and subtraced, but the general rule is that this shelf is always to the limit with favorites. When I need to relax with a book, my eyes look first to that top shelf.


A copy of The Princess Bride looks like a neon porcupine; the pages are filled with brightly colored post-it notes marking key passages.

Ella Enchanted is also well read; I take it down and it occupies my brain for an hour or two when I'm in need of a romantic, yet good story. (i wish i could claim many of ella's words as my own. and her handsome prince char, of course!)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes stands as an ancient and stately contrast to several Calvin and Hobbes and Foxtrot collections.

What Katy Did reminds me to be good and grown up; in contrast, Brian Jacques' beautiful story, Mossflower, reminds me that I will never be too grown up for a good fantasy novel about heroic mice and an evil wildcat queen.

There's plenty of work from good ol' England. To the right, you'll see my collection of Agatha Christies, (tommy and tuppence adventures are always entertaining.) and Wodehouses. (Piccadilly Jim and Bachelor's Anonymous are forever favorites.)


Now, do you see that shorter, bright blue book on the left? Next to The Hobbit? Yeah, that one. This whole post is about that book. Why is a children's book on the top shelf? Well, look

at the title...


I don't really have any memories before It's Just Me, Emily. I don't know when or how I got it. I'm not sure if I was the inspiration for the book, or if the book inspired me to be who I am. But in its dozen or so pages, this book manages to describe 'Emelina age 4,' perfectly. The pictures even look like me. (and dang, i was cute then!) The story is simple, but has a great rhythm. I'll give you an excerpt.


splish, splash, slip, slosh, swish, swash,

"is that a porpoise in the tub? or maybe a hippopotamus?

or a fat old walrus splashing about and pushing all the water out?"

"no, it's just me, emily."


from behind the chair comes a happy sound, a voice softly singing, "t
ra loo, tra lay, oh happy day"

now what could be singing tra loo, tray lay? would a bird sing, 'oh happy day?'

"i suppose it might be an elf," mother says, "or a fairy."

"no mama, no, it's just me, emily."


Why this peek into my childhood? Why do you care? This book still describes me today. It's kind of always been a motto for me. I've always been my own person. (it's not necessarily the best thing, because I can be a pretty horrible 'my own person,' sometimes) I fancy myself as fairly independent. Heck, in some circles, I've even built my reputation on being mysterious and elusive. I can follow the crowd, sure, but I still don't exactly fit in. I like being myself. I am happiest when I'm not trying to please other people or change my personality to fit the situation. I enjoy being different.


The Apostle Paul is very clear that we should put others above ourselves, and never act in any way that would cause someone to stumble. But, it's also important to remember that God is glorified most when we enjoy Him and the way He has made us. Change yourself for God, sure. Become more like Him, enjoy Him more. But don't ever change yourself to get approval from humans.


I'm not one of those people that is constantly being accused of being a reminder of another person. I don't blend in with the cookie-cutter hotties group. But I like that. I don't want to blend in and be noticed, yet just as quickly forgotten.


I don't need perfect hair or trendy clothes to define me. I like the fact that I'm rather indefinable. I don't need to be told that I look like Jennifer Aniston or even your gorgeous ex-girlfriend in order to be confident. I'm proud of the fact that I find my self-worth in Christ. I don't need a snappy nickname or a fancy present to solidify our friendship. Just call me up sometime, or we'll meet for some coffee. *shrugs* I'm not too picky. But don't expect anything extraordinary.


I'm just me...Emily.

1 comment:

Aine said...

I was always rather partial to Whiffle Squeak as a child.

"His boots were made of jelly fish squish, jelly fish squish, jellyfish squish, his boots were made of jellyfish squish and his name was Whiffle Speak."

Boo-ya!

Is that characteristic enough for you?