Thursday, October 07, 2004

looking back - vol I...

I'm finally ready to write the rundown of the three major events of my summer: the trip of a lifetime, rachel's visit, and johndavid's trip to Oregon.

Yes, I do realize that it is currently a full week into October, and my summer officially ended on August 20 when I left for school... It almost seems pointless to talk about now, but I'm in the mood to remember some of the great times. This is kinda more for my own personal entertainment, but I shall try to make it as interesting as possible for those who were not directly involved in these lovely events. It seems like so long ago...I should probably start at the beginning of my year with my internship, because I haven't written about that yet, but I think I'll go in reverse chronological order...

JohnDavid 'Skunk' Thompson came to visit for ten days at the beginning of August. The best part was, of course, that his visit was a secret to most of our friends. JohnDavid became an honorary member of our speech club at this year's national tournament, but, as he currently resides in Georgia, one would not expect him to show up for the end of the year Rainmaker's party. It was so fun to surprise everyone! I think he got a pretty good taste of my beautiful Oregon in ten days. About as good as you can get in that small amount of time, actually. They went to the coast without me, because I had to work, but we did get to spend a lot of time just hanging out with some really amazing people.

On the first day, Steph, Jordan, Skunk and I drove up to Mt Hood as to share the experience of REAL mountains, and took a historical detour to slide down "Laurel Hill," a key point on the Oregon Trail route. Such homeschoolishness, ha.

Of course, we had to spend an insane amount of time at Starbucks. We met various groups of friends there and enjoyed many a caffeinated concoction. Of course, since we all love to talk, we discussed an assortment philosophy, love, politics, the Bible, Christianity, entertainment, art (what is art? *grin*) and plans for the future...

I could go on forever, so instead I will simply post a list of specific memories...

*playing hoopala at 6:30 AM. for at least 2 hours. (a tradition that began at a starbucks in richmond, va, of all places)

*the day spent driving up the gorge with steph, michael, and johndavid. good pictures. good times.

*herman the giant sturgeon at the fish hatchery. and the cat on a leash. and having a water fountain fight.

*missing johndavid's head. 'see, she can't hit you!' and then hitting his head so hard it hit the window. oops. don't know my own strength! *grin*

*homemade oreo ice cream at the glaser's house. it's never something to miss!

*'the candidate's new groove' - a political spoof on the presidential campaigns. cast include the skunk as john 'f' kerry and jordan as john 'he said hey y'all' edwards, will glaser as george 'don't buy heinz ketchup' bush, myself as teresa 'scary beyond all reason' heinz kerry, and steph as the investigative reporter.

*seeing 'the terminal' with steph and johndavid. 'do you ever feel like you live in an airport?'

*talking to mark drye on the phone, and realizing once again just how much our military personnel deserve our prayer and support.

*watching the sun set from the top of the katu news building. then going down to the news studio and getting to play and take pictures. ('where's my hairspray?' 'tell me about your book...' *blows kisses and waves* 'today, we will learn how to mince!')

*going on an oneonta falls gorge hike with jd, dayne, nathan, and the other emily. rock climbing. snowmelt freezing cold water. being lord of the rings characters. the cave man.

*spending time with the two 'most-awesome-outside-of-my-own' families, the cools and the glasers. such godly, generous, hospitable, and encouraging people, and i am so thankful for them!

No comments: