Thursday, October 21, 2004

pocket change...

ladies and gents, I proclaim today a good day, and it's only 12:20!

Some say that I'm impossible to please, and it may be true. But I do find pleasure and enjoyment in some quaint and funny things. Either that or I am just incredibly vain and only amused by myself, which is highly possible as well.

It's the simple things...

I slept in.
I went to the CCA.
It was interesting.
I managed to pay attention and study Greek at the same time.
I'm skipping lunch.
My wireless works, so I'm studying in the library right now. (if you're a stalker, i'm either in the heritage room or on the second floor)
My headache took a vacation. (but unfortunantly returned after Greek)
I have two offers for dates tonight. (well, one's with my cousin and some friends, and the other is a pi phi meeting, so don't get too excited...)

and most wonderful of all, my poem got printed in the paper as an honorable mention!

I did not walk away with the fifty dollared prize, but then again, I wasn't even expecting to get printed. One should note that this is one of my few attempts at poetry, and I attempted it after midnight. I like it. It's very...Dr. Seuss. When I picked up the paper to look at the winners, one of the professors was also reading the paper, and he asked me why I was excited. When I explained, he said that he had been one of the judges, and had voted for my poem! Talk about extra giddyness...I shall have to try this poetry thing more often

Anyway,much love.

The requirement was that the poem had to be exactly 33 words. (it's also important for you to know that Oakley is this awesome deli right off campus) **there are some key formatting things in this poem that add to the snappiness that i can't make work on here... it keeps changing the text to left-justified format. grr. anyway. use your imagination.

pocket change

i'd buy an Oakley
i'd buy some gas
to get out of town
and get out fast
to Lansing
to Detroit
to Kalamazoo
if i had fifty dollars
that's what i would do.

5 comments:

Aine said...

I always knew you had a poet in your head.

Sometimes there are reasons we
can never say to
explain the glimmer/beauty
of a grinning sort of day though
sometimes we can make an attempt and get
the point across pretty well.
Savvy?

Aine said...

"Savvy?" of course, not being part of the answer poem. Apparently cyberspace doesn't feel like converting all my line breaks today. To which I say, "A pox upon you, cyberspace!"

emelina said...

either that or i've been posessed by Dr Seuss.

could be worse, I suppose. It might have been someone dreadful like Emily Dickenson, and THEN where would we be?

Aine said...

Not speaking, obviously. ;-)

Anonymous said...

a list :

1.) you are not hard to please and/or amuse. two points to consider : joe's tie and that one guy at the grocery store in my home town who was hitting on us. two things that amused you (altho the latter definately did not please you. i hope.)

2.) i am very proud to know a published poet! you inspire me.

3.) i don't know how one writes a poem with the restriction of "exactly 33 words". this is a feat in itself. again, i am very proud.

4.) you never called and sang to me. i tried to imagine what the song sounded like, but it was just too vague ...

5.) i really should e-mail you rather than take up space in your blog. ah well.

6.) i love you and miss you a lot. i'll write soon. promises!

~*star*~