Saturday, September 04, 2004

endings...

Movies used to be different. (no, really, Em??)
Particularly the endings.

In the ends of today's movies, people are happy because they get what they want. Of course, not all modern movies are like that, but the vast majority of mainstream commercial flicks end with people happy, in love with the 'right' person, etc. And even if the ending is bittersweet, the emphasis is on the sweet.

In the end of an old movie, the characters didn't necessarily get exactly what they wanted. People were happy at the end because they did the right thing. Most endings are bittersweet.

Like in Roman Holiday, when Audrey Hepburn says, 'If I were not completely aware of my duty, I would not have come back tonight.' If that movie were made today, she would have run into Gregory Peck's arms at the end of the press conference. But she doesn't. She leaves, and he walks out alone. The End. Bittersweet with the emphasis on the bitter. It wasn't easy, and it wasn't what they wanted, but it was the right thing.

I saw Casablanca last night with some friends. I've seen bits and pieces, and the whole thing a long time ago, so I had a great time analyzing it from a new perspective. It too has a very bittersweet ending. But a good ending. The only right ending.

The 'love trumps responsibility' thing really annoys me too. Like in Spiderman 2, it's perfectly acceptable and 'the right thing' for MJ to send her fiancee a note at the alter and run off to Peter because she's really in love with him. And there's better fireworks when she kisses Spiderman than her fiancee. WRONG. If love is really like that, I never want it.

I know that some of my movies will have happy endings, because I'm a romantic fool, and I enjoy it some of the time. But I hope that I never sacrifice the principles of truth and responsibility for a modern hollywood ending. If I ever do that, you can personally come tell me I'm a failure.

While I'm sure I'll make some great family films, I also want to tackle some serious, not for the kids subjects. And everybody is not going to get what they want at the end, but hopefully they'll do the right thing. I'm never going to win an Oscar. The critics will hate it and call it 'preachy.' It's not going to blow away the box office.

But I hope a few of you will see it anyway.


4 comments:

Mister Woodles said...

The Butterfly Effect had a very good, bittersweet ending.

emelina said...

most modern war movies also have bittersweet endings.

Aine said...

Cast Away was pretty bittersweet, I thought. His old fiancee stayed with her husband and child, instead of running off with him. It ends with him standing alone at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere. I'd call that an emphasis on the bitter.

Mister Woodles said...

But with Cast Away, the implication was that he would end up with that other girl he'd just met. Still bittersweet, just more sweet than bitter