Thursday, September 16, 2004

stay...

where have you been, my long lost friend
it's good to see you again
come and sit for a while, i've missed your smile
today the past is goodbye

there is a way to make you stay
darling, don't turn away
don't doubt your heart and keep us apart
i'm right where you are
stay

Life is definitely an Alison Krauss song.

I'm not really sad, just contemplative. I have been thinking a lot about life and home and changes. Here's what I came up with...

I get letters and phone calls from you. They make my day. I understand the things that are happening. I love hearing about them. I get a fairly complete picture, but I can't really feel a part of things...it's like I'm behind a two way mirror or in a glass box, watching everything happen, but feeling very...distant. I can react to events, people, stories, but I don't really get to experience or feel them. It's really hard, because I'm such a visual person anyway. Somehow it doesn't seem enough to read your letters or get your phone calls. I want to be there with you. I want to see your real smile and not just a picture on my desk. I want to give you a hug. I want to wink at you from across the room, not from over two thousand miles away.

But that's not an option right now. Somehow, I have to be content with the view from the press box, instead of actually playing the game with you.

there's a restless feeling knocking at my door today
there's a shadow hanging 'round my garden gate
i read between the lines of words you can't disguise
love has gone away, and put these tears in my eyes
every time you say goodbye

No comments: