Friday, September 03, 2004

autonomy...

That's definitely the word I would use to describe this stage in my life. It's a freedom that I could get used to, which is good, because I'll have it for pretty much the rest of my life. I get to choose what I do every evening, who I hang out with, and whether or not Saga food is edible. (it's usually not. it's not horrible, for a cafeteria, but it's rarely appetizing.)

Of course, self-government is not no-government. I have plenty of responsibilities, and things that I know that I should be doing. I guess I've always had the ability to choose whether or not I actually do what's right, but it just seems really different now. I don't think the freedom is making me go crazy. I'm glad my parents raised me in a supervised, but not controlled environment. I've had plenty of freedom to make my own choices and mistakes, and to really be able to say I am the way that I am because of my own beliefs. I want to raise my kids that way.

I really miss home, but I'm making better connections with people here. It still feels like a camp, and I'm not sure if that will ever wear off.

I can't imagine a better roommate than Esther, and we have been dubbed 'the tidyist room in mac' by our housekeepers. We work really hard, but have a few moments of craziness. We both have some very interesting ways of relieving stress. Like last night, we were both working on papers, and all of a sudden, she starts reading random dictionary words. Like, scientific formulas and aincent Iranian people groups. It was hysterical! We also are entertaining ourselves by coming up with creative answering maching messages, and strange greetings for when our phone actually rings. I've had people shocked when we just answer the phone with a normal greeting. If you ever are in the mood for making prank calls, leaving creative messages with strange accents, or just want to talk, please call (517) 439-7366.

Today I'm in class til 3, and then working til 5:15 or so. But I think it's going to be a beautiful day, so maybe I'll skip lunch and take a walk in the Arb. I did all my reading on a bench by the pond yesterday, and it was simply lovely. I might watch a movie tonight, or if I still have this headache, go to bed early. Is that pitiful?

Three day weekend, though. Whoop.

No comments: